Successful CPAs understand the importance of marketing. But the best marketing efforts – and the heftiest marketing dollars – can be wasted if you don’t understand the needs of your prospects.
Experience has taught me that a sure-fire path to failure is in assuming you know what your prospect’s needs are. Don’t fall into the trap of outguessing – or second-guessing – your prospect. Find out what they need, so your practice can be the one to address those needs, better than anyone else.
Does it sound difficult? Time consuming? It doesn’t have to be. You can get your hands on potent insights simply by polling your customers and prospects. The most successful CPAs I know do it all the time.
You can become one of those successful CPAs and start polling right now – easily. Here’s how:
1. Create a Survey. Draw up a simple customer satisfaction survey including the following questions:
- What do you think we do well?
- What do you think we could improve on?
- What would you like to see us start doing?
- What would you like to see us stop doing?
- Overall, how satisfied are you with our firm? On a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being extremely dissatisfied and 10 being delighted, how would you rate us? (If you rated us lower than 8, what would it take for us to score a 10?)
2. Distribute the Survey. Send out your survey with your monthly invoices.
3. Implement Client Suggestions. Set a goal to implement any client suggestions and feedback within 30 days.
And here’s a bonus step that’s incredibly powerful:
4. Report Action to the Client. When you take action on client feedback, report back to them and tell them about the changes you’ve made! Not only will this further cement your relationship, but it will make that client feel great. Clients love to be “heard”.
In a short period of time, you’ll spread the word that yours is a different kind of CPA practice. You’ll also see your practice evolving into a market leader as you implement your clients’ feedback.
Are there any questions you might add to your survey? If so, what are they?
Learn even more about growing and strengthening your practice! Check out my book The Ultimate CPA Practice in the New Economy: 10 Secrets to Attract More Clients, Boost Profits and Live Your Ideal Lifestyle.